Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Kudos to the Bay State

I am proud to live in the first state to have legalized gay marriage. Hopefully our zany governor won't get the ruling reversed and there will be many happily married men and women across our great state.

I've known many, many homosexuals in my life. Many of my good friends are gay. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gay lifestyle as a whole and people who think otherwise simply don't know enough gay people.

One problem I have come across in the gay community is many times long term commitments are ended because of some trivial matter - the couple gets into a fight or some such thing. I think the major reason for this is their relationship never felt 100% valid to them because so much of society deems it invalid. Hopefully this new found respect and equality for their relationships will foster a greater sense of commitment to each other.

6 Comments:

At August 08, 2005 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Smorg!

Didn't realize you had your own blog.

Will be back to chat!

-Jack

 
At August 15, 2005 8:36 PM, Blogger curfew said...

Awww, Smorgasbord... I can think of plenty of Male-Female relationships that have ended over trivial things. A toothbrush, spare-change, and dishes to name a few....

 
At August 16, 2005 9:29 AM, Blogger Smorgasbord said...

'Tis true, Curfew. No doubt about that. I'm just saying that I've known a few people personally who would benefit from the societal affirmation that is marriage. There's a feeling of futility that you don't find as often in the straight world.

 
At August 17, 2005 8:07 PM, Blogger curfew said...

Hi Smorg... are you saying that marriage would end fights over the trivial? If so, could I please have a ring? That would work out great for me.

Thanks, Curfew.

 
At August 18, 2005 9:20 AM, Blogger Smorgasbord said...

Sorry Curfew, I'm already married. I'm not saying by any means that marriage would end fights about the trivial. In many ways marriage encourages fights about the trivial. My only point was that there is a pervasive feeling of futility in the gay community that hurts people's attempts at monogamy. I think marriage would help alleviate that futility. That's all.

 
At August 18, 2005 2:25 PM, Blogger curfew said...

Point taken. Affirmation is good. Yey Massachusetts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home